Sunday, March 16, 2008

Day 14 - Habakkuk 3

Growing up in Illinois gave me the opportunity to visit the Billy Graham Center Museum in Wheaton, IL. Half of the museum is a testament of God's grace and faithfulness in Billy Graham's life and how he has been used by God. But it was the first half of the museum that really caught my attention. Through pictures and stories, the museum displayed God's faithfulness and power here in the United States. Maybe these names don't ring a bell, but I learned about people like George Whitefield, D.L. Moody, and Billy Sunday who God used to bring about revivals here in the United States. I was in complete awe that God had done such amazing things here in the United States. I could only wonder if God would do anything like that again.

This chapter is a prayer after Habakkuk realizes in a series of dialogues with God that God does sees the sins and injustices they faced and that He will bring a greater judgment as they wait on God's faithfulness. Habakkuk responds by professing that he has heard of what God has done in the past and to do it once again in his time. And then Habakkuk describes in the present God's power and might. And even when it does not seem that God is at work, "yet" he will rejoice in the Lord and wait for what the future holds because it is the Lord who saves.

If I had to make this prayer personal... I think of my junior high days when I first committed my life to Christ. One of my first tests of faith was when my family had just moved into our own house after years of struggling financially. It was a home we felt like God had given to us. Soon later, we were in a difficult financial situation again and facing the possibility of losing our home. I remember praying and thinking how will God help us. I can look back now and tell you of God's faithfulness to my family and how His ways have been so good. When I go through difficult times now, I still look back to this time because it reminds me of what God has done and helps me to see who God is in all His power and authority and helps me to wait on Him.

When I think about these 40 Days of Destiny and what God is leading us to do, I can only imagine that there will be times that are difficult and will require sacrifice. This chapter reminds me to make it my prayer that we remember what God has done in the past in our church, the lives of people who have gone through it, and those who are currently in it. And because we serve a powerful and mighty God, we can continue to wait on Him and His faithfulness and expect that He will continue to bring even greater testimonies in our days now.

At the same time though, I hope that what God is doing in our church is even bigger than just our church or even our campus. I pray that the very testimonies of what God has done here in the United States in the past would be renewed again in our time. I looked up the Billy Graham Center Museum and found it interesting that the quote Billy Graham gives says, "This museum will point us to the past so we can learn from those who have gone before. It will cause us to rejoice in the present to see what God is doing today. And it will challenge us for the future to know Christ and to make Him known to the ends of the earth."

No comments: