Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Day 10 - Psalm 18

Nickey and I live across the street from a Blockbuster Video store and as I was walking past it last night, I noticed they put up the poster for the movie, "I Am Legend." Have you seen it?

This dude Robert Neville (played by Will Smith in the 2007 version) is apparently the last man in the world not infected by this virus that mutates people into man-hunting monsters. You might think he was at the end of his rope in the beginning of the movie: he lost his family, was living alone in the entire city of New York (except for his trusty dog), and slept in bath tub. But as the movie progresses, Neville really hits rock-bottom. He has to kill his own dog because it contracted the virus and the mutants track down where he hides out at night...



Now here's a guy whose situation was as bleak as it could get. While we might not experience something quite like this, there are definitely times in our lives that we will experience desperate situations when all we can do is cry out to God.

In my distress I called upon the Lord; to my God I cried for help. From his temple he heard my voice, and my cry to him reached his ears. - Ps 18:6

While I wouldn't ever wish this kind of calamity upon myself or another person, these situations create a special opportunity for us to experience God in ways we would never be able to otherwise. For me, 2001-02 was one of those seasons: I lost my job, 9-11 happened, I was getting demolished by the ministries I was involved in- I felt burned out and frustrated. But God carried me through it somehow and I can say that God never left me alone.

In today's situation that we are in as a church, I know there will be bumps along the Destiny Campaign. In fact, during the time that the Board was praying whether or not we should "go for it", the Lord led me to count the cost of what it might entail. My imagination went wild as I thought about the endless possibilities of "what could go wrong." But in the end, the Lord brought me to compare those hardships with the end- not just a building, but testimonies of how God protects, delivers, provides, rescues, understands, equips, saves...

The Lord lives, and blessed by my rock, and exalted be the God of my salvation. - Ps 18:46

No comments: