Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Day 2 - 1 Kings 8:22-61

"Obey the LORD our God and follow his commands with all your heart, just as you are doing today" (v. 61, CEV). So much easier said than done! It's verses like this that pump me up to live for God - until two minutes later when I've already disobeyed.

Solomon's prayer in this passage is really interesting: he's praying in advance for all the future times that the people of Israel will struggle, sin, and face trials. I thought this was an odd time for this prayer - they should be celebrating because the Temple building project is done. But when they are at their high, Solomon acknowledges their weakness and need for God. He knows that Israel will never accomplish God's purposes without His presence and help.

As we head into the Destiny Campaign and all that God has in store for our church, my honest tendency is to fear the messiness - the challenges, complications, and failures that are inevitable with any meaningful step of faith. But I'm encouraged by Solomon's prayer because I'm reminded that God uses the most unlikely people and circumstances to do His work, since this brings Him so much glory.

I see that we are just as much a rag-tag team as the Israelites. I know I criticize them for being such brats in the desert, complaining about manna and water, but really, we're just like them. But God's so passionate for His glory that He used them anyway.

I love this part: "Foreigners will hear about you and your mighty power, and some of them will come to live among your people Israel. If any of them pray toward this temple, listen from your home in heaven and answer their prayers. Then everyone on earth will worship you, just like your people Israel, and they will know that I have built this temple to honor you" (vv. 41-43, CEV).

I can only imagine the 'foreigners' who will hear about God through us, 'live among' us, visit our place of worship, pray to God for the first time, hear His answer and receive the gift of eternal life. It really is amazing to think that we're part of the same mission as Solomon and the Israelites - spreading God's glory to all nations. What a privilege!

I also love how he closes - it's a prayer for our church as we embark on our journey of creating a place of worship for God: "May the LORD help us obey him and follow all the laws and teachings he gave our ancestors. I pray that the LORD our God will remember my prayer day and night. May he help everyone in Israel each day, in whatever way we need it. Then every nation will know that the LORD is the only true God" (vv. 58-60, CEV).

2 comments:

sethskim said...

One thing that stuck out to me was the "when... then" combination all throughout this passage. I am always fascinated by this. It just seems so "conditional." I have always thought that God was unconditional in His love, in His promises, etc.

It took me awhile in my Christian walk to realize that I was looking at these passages from my perspective rather than God's perspective.

From my perspective, it looks so "conditional," but from God's perspective He is being patient.

Here is a passage that reminds me of His patience - "IF my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, THEN will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land.(caps mine, 2 Chr 7:14, NIV)

Tou Fue said...

The verse about the foreigners was really great. It reminds me that even in the Old Testament, God had his eyes on the world.

Another verse that spoke to me powerfully was v. 27 "But will God really dwell on earth? The heavens, even the highest heaven, cannot contain you. How much less this temple I have built!" In his wisdom, Solomon concludes that it does not make sense for an infinite, immeasurable God to be contained within the walls of the temple. But when he reflects on it, he realizes that it is only possible by his mercy .

Today, the temple is no longer there, but Paul in 2 Corinthians 6:16 writes, "we are the temple of the living God". If the thought of God dwelling within a man-made building caused Solomon to repent and pray for the nations and the future generations, I am challenged by the thought of God dwelling in me.

What is the appropriate response? I need to repent because I do not love God nearly as much as I think I love him. I need to pray for those things that are on His heart. Not because I love those things, but because I love God.

Happy 2nd day to Destiny everyone!