Friday, March 14, 2008

Day 12 - Joshua 1:1-9

I remember reading this passage when I first accepted Christ and thinking, "Ok, I guess I should be strong and courageous." It seemed to me like God was giving an instruction on a general character trait that we need as believers, and I didn't reflect on anything beyond that.

Today when I look at this passage I see something a bit different. Yes, it's important to be strong and courageous, but why? What was ahead of Joshua that he would need such courage and strength to lead the people of God forward? Looking farther ahead in the book of Joshua, we see many trials and difficulties that the Israelites went through, and these certainly required courage to endure, but again I find myself asking, "Why go through all of these things?"

I think the answer lies in a few words that God speaks here: "I will give you..." Joshua needed courage and strength in order to lead the people through these trials to receive God's promises. They could have remained wandering in the desert another 40 years or taken a path that seemed less difficult, and it wouldn't have required much courage. But when they looked at the difficult task of conquering the land that God had promised to them, they needed courage to believe and strength to act in order to receive what was promised.

God has given us many promises, whether in the Bible or impressions laid on our hearts by the Holy Spirit. It's easy to look at these and passively acknowledge what He has promised to us, but I think God is looking for something more. When God offered me the promise of salvation through Jesus Christ, what did I need to do to be saved? I had to step forward in faith and receive what was promised. It's the same way with many of the things God has promised to us.

So why do we need strength and courage? There are many challenges ahead of us in accomplishing God's purposes for our church and our lives, and nothing will be easily overcome. It's my prayer that we will courageously step out in faith to receive His promises for us, and in doing so we will see the power of God.

No comments: