Friday, March 21, 2008

Day 19 - Luke 23:26-56

I've been doing a lot of reflection this week as we've been preparing for Good Friday and Easter, both on my own life and what I see going on in the lives of people around me. I feel a great sense of joy and thankfulness when I look at what God has been doing, but at the same time He has been reminding me that we are all broken people. In our human condition, we will all face various levels of bondage to sin, family struggles, unmet expectations, shame, addiction, fear, doubt, and guilt, and we will no doubt hurt, and be hurt by, others along the way. I'm experiencing some of these things right now, and many others have shared their own burdens with me this week.

And today, a very significant day in our Christian faith, we look once again to the cross that Christ bore for us. We've been sharing a lot recently about inviting our friends to Easter and trying to be a witness to our campus and community, but today I am reminded that the gospel is not just for those who do not know Christ; it's for us. It's because of the gospel that Paul could say that we are:
"known, yet regarded as unknown; dying, and yet we live on; beaten, and yet not killed; sorrowful, yet always rejoicing; poor, yet making many rich; having nothing, and yet possessing everything." - 2 Corinthians 6:9-10

Even in our greatest weaknesses and struggles with sin, we can rejoice in God's unfailing love. And, as we read today, that love came at the price of Jesus Christ's death on the cross. "The punishment that brought us peace was upon him, and by his wounds we are healed" (Isaiah 53:5b).

It's going to be a great weekend. I pray that all of us will be able to experience the redemption, hope, healing, and joy that can be found in no one but Christ.

No comments: