Sunday, March 9, 2008

Day 7 - Colossians 1:15-20

"What do you want to be when you grow up?"

When I was in grade school, I remember my teacher asking my fellow classmates and me this question. There were always a slew of responses. "An astronaut! A fire fighter!" some would cry. Others would state professions that were clearly influenced by their parents: "An accountant! An engineer!" But the most frequent response was, "I want to be president of the United States!"

As I look back, I think many who set the presidency as a career objective (including myself) did so because they were drawn to its position of power and control. (Now, I would never call out a child as being a power monger. All I am saying is that even children understand and recognize positions of power.) Indeed, the president of the United States has the ability to shape and make history. In this year's election, the next president's actions and policies will affect our lives for years and decades to come on the critical issues of foreign policy, health care, social security, the economy, and immigration.

But even the president of the United States, the person in charge of arguably the most powerful nation in the world, is subject to an even higher power: Jesus Christ. "For by him all things were created: things in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or powers or rulers or authorities; all things were created by him and for him" (Col 1:16).

Today's portion of Scripture clearly outlines who is in control. Though the president of the United States may have power in this world, he/she only has it because of Jesus Christ. For He is the "firstborn," "head," and "beginning." Everything in this world -- people, companies, organizations, governments -- are subject the the supremacy of Jesus Christ. There is none that compares or matches His greatness and majesty. Though the next president of the United States will soon take office come November, it is absolutely certain that Christ will still be seated on His throne in power.

As we have been journeying together during this 40-Days-to-Destiny period, I am recognizing more and more that the power of Christ goes beyond human comprehension and logic. A situation that once seemed impossible becomes possible when God shows up. A door that was entirely closed opens wide with only one explanation: God. And the reason for this?

"So that in everything He might have the supremacy" (Col 1:18).

We serve a great God who is deserving of all praise. And it is my sincere desire that as we get to know Chirst more, our response to my teacher's question will be not be the president, but rather: "I want to be more like Christ."

No comments: