Sunday, March 30, 2008

Day 28 - Romans 3:9-31

This weekend I went home for a funeral. I've begun to notice something about funerals. At a funeral, people come out and share about all the wonderful things people did. You begin to learn how people affected the lives of others. The little things that people do, end up really impacting people’s lives. It's sad that we don't find out about these things until our funeral, and we’re not even alive to hear them.

 

But the one thing this passage helped me realize is that no matter how many people share nice things about you, no matter how many great things you've done, or how many people you affected for Christ, we're still constrained by verse 23 which states 'all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God.'

 

No matter how many nice things I've done or will do, I cannot escape the fact that I am a sinner and fall short of the glory of God. Even if 100’s of people come up at my funeral and share how nice of a guy I was, I still fall short of the glory of God.

 

But the story never ends there with God, and we can rejoice that He sent His only Son, Jesus so that we can be justified by our faith in Him, and Him alone. That instead of boasting in our good deeds that served man, we can boast in the fact that Jesus Christ saved us from our sins!

 

My hope and prayer is that whenever my life ends and I have my funeral, that people will come up and not boast in my good deeds, but in the fact that we have a Savior who rescued us from our sins and has given us eternal life in Heaven.

No comments: