Monday, March 10, 2008

Day 8 - Nehemiah 9:1-38

We are starting off the 2nd week of the 40D2D (40-Days to Destiny). This week's theme is on God's Faithfulness. It was good being reminded of His Faithfulness through Nehemiah 9.

Do you remember as a kid the toy cars that would bump into the wall and then it would go in another direction (maybe some of you still secretly play with them now)? They were the coolest things because no matter what direction it was going in, as soon as it hit an object or a wall it would change directions.

This is kind of what I thought about when I read today's entry. I was drawn to the word, "but" all throughout this passage. As I was reading, I was reminded about how God did so many things for the Israelite people, "but." God had to discipline them through various trials and could have destroyed them, "but." When things were back to normal the Israelites went to back to their old ways and God could have turned away, "but."

Why is it that we continue to head into one direction "but" then end up in another direction?

In some ways for me it is my fickleness and cynicism. But I am thankful that God does not give up on me. He continues to show His love and His continual patience towards me. In a strange way, God allows me to bounce off the wall and change direction; and in a loving way brings me back to Him.

No comments: