Monday, March 17, 2008

Day 15 - Genesis 15

We are starting off the 3rd week of our 40-Days to Destiny. This week we are focusing on God’s Purposes. It is helpful to get the macro picture of God’s heart for the world as we start reading from Genesis 15.

As I was reading this passage today, I was struck, not only by God’s initiation of His covenant with His people, but also about how God used Abram’s senses to speak to him. Abram hears God through a vision as Abram is given a promise (v. 1). He also sees the vision of the stars and the promise of his offspring. In v. 7 God uses Abram’s memory to remind him of God’s faithfulness. Then in v. 17, we notice that “a smoking firepot with a blazing torch” appeared in between the sacrificial offering, which probably caused Abram to smell the burning fire.

It is pretty incredible how God uses our senses and our memory to increase our faith. God wanted Abram to trust in Him. In fact, v. 6 says, “Abram believed the Lord, and he credited it to him as righteousness.” With each promises, Abram needed the faith to believe that God would do what He said He would do. God somehow appeared or spoke to Abram using the senses so that he can step out in faith.

I was thinking about my life and how on a daily basis God uses all my senses to speak to me. Sometimes I am so self-focused that I am not able to “see,” “hear,” “smell,” “taste” and “feel” what God is trying to do. It is my prayer throughout this week, especially since it is Passion Week that I will be able to experience more of God’s Presence.

1 comment:

hangooks said...

a lot of this was a response, abram just had to respond to God. a lot of times i try to do everything, trying to take control. if i wanted to be credited righteous i just need to respond to God just as abram did.