Saturday, March 15, 2008

Day 13 - Hebrews 12:3-17

The author of Hebrews compares God's discipline in our lives to that of our earthly fathers' attempts at disciplining us. This is a striking reference for me personally, because my parents did a pretty good job of disciplining me as a child. Being godly parents, they allocated a wooden spatula as the "spanking spoon" and wrote bible verses about discipline on it with a red felt tip pen. They consistently followed the following format for their disciplinary procedure:

1. First, I had to commit some sort of repeated infringement on their rules.
2. Second, a warning was given indicating that I would be spanked that day at a certain time and place (never in public).
3. Third, I would agonizingly wait for the moment of truth, hoping that my good behavior until then would be enough to convince them that I didn't need the spanking.
4. Fourth, was the actual moment of truth, where you were asked whether or not you understood why you were about to be disciplined.
5. Fifth, was the inevitable tears of shame and humiliation that would follow the unfortunate confession.
6. Sixth, was the actual spanking on the hands, which for the most part was physically painless but nonetheless searing on the conscience and character.
7. Finally, the best part, was the embracing between parent and child. My dad/mom would hold me and wipe away my tears, reminding me how much they loved me.

Interestingly, by the time my parents hugged me, I had already forgotten the pain of being disciplined and felt an overwhelming sense of relief knowing that the lesson had been learned and that even at my most sinful moment, I was completely loved.

When I look back on my childhood, I can really understand my parent's attempts at disciplining me as being motivated by their love for me. This is something that is emphasized in this passage - "the Lord disciplines those he loves." It goes on to state that if we don't experience God's discipline then we are not really his children at all and that we are in fact illegitimate children. How true this is! Can you imagine disciplining a child that isn't your own? God disciplines us for the very reason that we are his children and that we bear His image and name. We belong to Him.

Now, in my adulthood I often think that I'm done with all that childish need for discipline in my life. While I may have graduated from my conflicted relationship with the "spanking spoon," I know that I still need God's divine discipline in my life. His discipline is an essential component to the development of my faith and my pursuit of Christ likeness. Most of all, when the initial sting of pain or disappointment is experienced, what I am left with, is an overwhelming understanding that out of His wisdom and grace, God is disciplining me because He loves me.

1 comment:

hangooks said...

as a single person, i sometimes imagine that the only time i will truely understand this concept is when i become a parent myself. also, i too understand why my parents disciplined me, but i wonder and worry for those you don't see this and are bitter at their parents and God.