Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Day 23 - John 13:1-20

I confess, my first instinct when I read this passage was, "Oh, this is the Easter story. We just celebrated; this whole 'Last-Supper, Jesus-tells-disciples-He's-gonna-die, and-then-He-dies, and-then rises-again schpeel' ... it's old news now."

I also confess that I'm feeling the 'morning-after-Christmas-blues' or the 'morning-after-birthday-blues' - when this one day that you anticipate for so long comes and goes, and suddenly there's nothing to look forward to.

As I caught myself reacting like this to the reading today, I realized how sad it was that I was treating the truth of Jesus's immense sacrifice like a one-day high. Although we do set aside Lent, Passion Week, and Easter as a special time to focus on the cross, the reality is that I should renew my awe of Jesus and refocus on the cross every day.

In the same way, with the 40 Days to Destiny, I hope that I won't wake up on the 41st day thinking, "The 40 Days are over. Now what?" As we've been hearing in our various gatherings, this 40 days is a time for our church to be strengthened and to grow spiritually. The whole Destiny Campaign which will launch on April 13th needs to be grounded on, and driven by, our spiritual growth. I'm praying for myself and our church that there will be no such thing as 'the-morning-after-Destiny-blues.'

No comments: