Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Day 17 - 1 Peter 1:3-9

Is it worth it? This is a question I get asked a lot (directly or indirectly) when I talk to church members as they go through difficulties. That's what I also ask myself when going through similar situations. I think it's a pretty valid question. The apostle Peter answers this same question in today's Bible reading.

For God has reserved a priceless inheritance for his children. It is kept in heaven for you, pure and undefiled, beyond the reach of change and decay. (1 Peter 1:4)

I asked this question a lot when I was a college student- but it wasn't about faith, it was about school. My major was engineering and I was one of those students who had to study twice as hard to get mostly B's (with occasional C's and A's sprinkled in). There would always be that time during the semester when I was toiling all night with a problem set or computer program or class project that I would ask myself if it was worth it. I'm guessing many of you are able to empathize with me on this one.

That's what makes graduation day so special. I was relieved when I finished my last ever final exam, but I had goosebumps as I walked through Assembly Hall in cap and gown that spring day in May 1998. Because after many late nights walking home from the engineering library, panicked studying for exams, and sleepless nights doing homework, I made it to the end goal of college and it was worth it.

Peter describes our journey with Jesus Christ the same way- only like one million times the magnitude! He says that the trials we face are to test our faith: "It is being tested as fire tests and purifies gold- and your faith is far more precious to God than mere gold" (v. 7). I think if we really understood this- that our faith is one of the most important things in our lives and that it gets strengthened when put through the "fires" of life- then we would joyfully persevere through them. And finally on that final day when we see Jesus face to face, we will be able to say, "It was worth it."

You love him even though you have never seen him. Though you do not see him, you trust him; and even now you are happy with a glorious,inexpressible joy. Your reward for trusting him will be the salvation of your souls. (1 Peter 1:8-9)

No comments: