Sunday, April 6, 2008

Day 35 - 2 Corinthians 8:1-15

There are many amazing things that Paul mentions in this passage that challenges me on this topic of giving. Joy, sacrifice, privilege are words that I think exmplified the way that the people gave. But what really struck me is Paul's exhortation that as they grow in the areas of faith, love, and entusiasm, that they would also grow in their gracious acts of giving.

This past year I've been working for the university in an office that aims to bring alumni back to Ann Arbor to remember, relive and experience their time here. But in that aim, the school hopes that alumni will also see the vision and the needs of the university and thus give. Although the University of Michigan is a secular institution, it astounds me how much it reflects some of the things that Paul spoke of here in 2 Corinthians. The University expects our alumni to excel in their careers and in areas of expertise in the world, but at the same time, they also expect alumni to give back. They don't view it as a separate entity, but all as one. They also understand that not everyone can give a large amount. But even the small donations are seen as valuable because they add up together to build a greater fund.

It makes me wonder, if people can give so much to a place like the U-M for an insitution that one day will fade away, how much more for the Living Christ. I hope that giving to this campaign is more than just a short time calling, but something we learn to do because it's just a part of growing in our faith and love for the Lord. Sometimes while working at my office, it saddens me as to how well the university is able to insprie people to give back so generously. I hope that our church is able to be a testimony that others can be inspried by as they see God work in and through us.

Paul says in vs 9, "For you know the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ, that though he was rich, yet for your sakes he became poor, so that you through his poverty might become rich". I pray as these 40 Days of Destiny are coming to a close, our eyes are fixed on Christ and that He is the motivation for why we give.

No comments: