Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Day 30 - Philippians 2:12-18

- Do nothing out of selfish ambition.
check
- Attitude should be the same as that of Christ Jesus.
check
- Do everything without complaining or arguing
check

If it was only that easy!
NOTHING out of selfish ambition? The SAME attitude as Christ? EVERYTHING without complaining? It sounds impossible to me. I think within the first five minutes of my morning I've already fallen short in two of them. So how are we to hope to be like-minded and humble children of God that shine like starts in the universe when so easily we are marred by our failings?

"continue to work out your salvation with fear and trembling, for it is God who works in you to will and to act according to his good purpose."

This one phrase gives me all the hope I need. First, I realize that even though I have already been granted positional salvation that promises me eternity with God, I still have salvation being worked out in all parts of me--from my heart to my mind. My attitude is daily being renewed towards humility. The motives of my heart are continually being tested for greater holiness. My will is constantly challenged with surrender and sacrifice. Of course there are times when I take two steps forward and one step back (or three or four). But no matter how many times my heart, mind or will have failed, I can hope in God who is working in me to will and act according to His good purpose. The same power that raised Christ from the dead and brought me into salvation years ago is the same power that is in work in me in this very moment today.

Therefore I can have hope that I can shine like a star in the universe if I allow Him to work in me.

No comments: